The Lower Grammar school serves grades K through 3. Meeting weekly, this supplemental and homeschool enhancement program focuses on history, recitation, introduction to Latin, and science. The development of handwriting and early writing concepts is encouraged through copy work, while memory and oratory skills are developed through recitation. Additional areas of exploration include music, art, and PE.
The Kindergarten class meets as a homeroom-styled class with two “specials” which require classroom travel – music and art. Lower Grammar 1, 2, and 3 students travel to each of their six 45-minute classes which include:
- History – history, church history, basic geography
- Science – focus on nature studies and exploration
- Recitation with Copy work – development of early writing and oratory skills
- Art – development of fine motor skills, art technique, and early art concepts
- Music – includes appreciation, music history, and performance elements
- PE – big muscle use and healthy living topics
All classes are staffed with a lead teacher/tutor and an aide. Classroom size is capped in order to maximize the student experience. Families with kindergarten-aged students should review the Student Readiness document in preparation for this exciting scholastic jump!
For a better understanding of the student, parent/teacher, and TMS teacher/tutor relationship in the Lower Grammar school, please review the Parent Student Expectations document.